Study 1: Semi-Structured Interview
Study to determine which methodologies people use media practically.
Publishing quality images on the web has been a task that requires a lot of effort and is often expensive when purchasing stock photography and graphic resources. There are some misunderstandings about licensing imagery and the copyright or royalty issues with regard to publishing images as well. User work flows vary depending on the scenario and use cases. We seek to be able to alleviate many pain points with useful solutions that make publishing easier, more inspirational, confidence inducing, and more impactful for both users and their audiences on the web.
Our team wants to learn about how WordPress professionals select, process, and publish images for their websites focusing on three specific personas/group use cases. We want to determine what gaps in knowledge exist regarding licensing, what pain point they struggle with, what solution gaps they experience and what their workflows are like so that we can use these findings to help us shape the direction moving forward with an Unsplash plugin.
- Needs] What is essential for publishing images?
- What are users’ current pain points?
- [Behaviors] How do users currently manage and publish images?
- How do they interact with existing stock photo products?
- Do users really need more image publishing solutions?
- How do users feel about existing products?
● 15-20-minute in-person or video semi-structured interview to gather in-depth qualitative data plus a form for collecting qualitative data
● The researcher will use the interview script as a guide and ask follow-up questions based on answers from the users
- 5-8 participants for both Content Creator and Site Admin User Groups or 3-5 for Stakeholder User Group
- Interviewees should have a depth of experience publishing media in WordPress or helping others to be successful publishing.
- They use digital media products professionally
- They been using digital media products within the last 90 days
To recruit participants, we will work at WCUS 2020 to walk through the study with leading professions gathering for the event.
What is the primary reason for you to publish or help others to publish images with WordPress?
- For my current job
- For leisure
- For a career change
What is your primary way to publish media in WordPress?
- Take our own photography
- Use digital stock products
- Over the last few years, I am not publishing media or helping others to be successful doing so (screened out)
How long have you been publishing digital or stock products yourself or through client work?
- Less than 3 months
- 3 months to a year
- Over a year
- Over 5 years
How often do you or your teams use digital media products like Unsplash or other stock photography resources?
- About once a week
- About once a month
- Once a year
- Hardly ever (screened out)
● Design proposal: October, 2019
● Recruiting: October – November, 2019
● Sessions: October – November, 2019
● Readout November, 2019
Notes: [italicized brackets] are used to document what we wish to learn from each question
My name is Cathi Bosco. Thank you very much for participating in this study. I am currently working on a project related to the WordPress media library and digital media management. I would love to learn more about your experience with publishing media in WordPress. This interview will take about 15 minutes. If you want to leave the session or take a break at any point, please let me know. Do you have any questions before we start?
Do you mind if I record this session for note-taking purposes? The recording won’t be shared with anyone outside of our team.
Warm-up Questions [Build rapport. Start with easy questions to get to know the participant]
- Could you tell us more about yourself.
- Do you publish or help others publish digital media on 1 or more websites
- Which apps or websites are you currently publishing digital images for or on?